Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Back in the mitten


After high school I couldn't wait to escape Michigan, in particular Kalamazoo. I loathed the harsh winters and a small town I was raised in; so after graduating high school I moved to the most opposite place I could think of; Phoenix, Arizona. I laughed when my friends and family would ask if I would ever move back to my home town, "Hell NO!" After living in Arizona for 6 years and spending 8 months in Denver, I returned home for thanksgiving last fall. I had recently ended my relationship in Denver and for the first time since I had left home I found myself vulnerable and homesick. No one was more surprised than me to hear myself say it, but I wanted to be closer to my family, even if it meant leaving all of my friends and returning to the state I hated.

So here I am, 24 years old and starting over in my hometown. Rediscovering that this place isn't as terrible as I remember leaving it.


No comments:

Post a Comment